Friday, September 18, 2009

Just another day....

So I come from a multicultural family. My family looks like the United Nations. I also speak and understand Spanish. Being that most people in California are shocked when a person who does not appear to be Mexican speaks Spanish. You would be surprised the number of conversations I have silently translated, while appearing non the wiser. To most people I am black. Which means what ? Oh yes only that I have darker skin than some. I must have missed the part where dark skin = no Spanish speaking skills. People are even shocked when I tell them my daughters name. Well hell do you know anything about my family? What about my other half? They look at me as if I just sprouted a horn! So Yesterday I was in the post office with my daughter and a male employee who appears to be Asian engages in conversation with a Mexican employee. Basically he was talking about a Black woman who works there and causes alot of drama. I am not sure why but as soon as the word "negra" = "black woman" comes out the female tries to change the subject. I suspect that she might have realized that I was able to translate the conversation. At first I wanted to ask him have you ever been to Columbia, Cuba, La Republica Dominicana, hell do you know anything about the history of Veracruz,Mexico ? Do you know who my beloved Celia Cruz "was"? But I just shook my head and told Alejandra (my daughter) to stop writing on their customs forms.

No comments: